The organization that I am working for is the Gettysburg Battlefield Preservation Association. They have a professionally designed website which I am currently in charge of maintaining. The internship however is to create advertisements and physical deliverables that are consistent with their new website.
Rather than start designing different pamphlets and forms that I felt would be effective for GBPA, I went through the IMA process and made sure to define and assess the current materials they have available. They do already have digital forms incorporated into their website which was not available before the redesigned site.
Their physical handouts however did not reflect either the old website or the newly designed one. I knew even before going into the project that this would be the bulk of my time and making sure they have the skills to continue using these forms once my internship ends. Since I am close with many members on the board I can normally create changes or produce documents they need. I feel it is important however to create templates which they have the knowledge and skills to edit if I were occupied with other projects.
Interning for a company when I am not physically there has definitely been a different experience that I had yet to experience. The internship has had its fair share of pros and cons in the month that I have worked on the project so far. The biggest challenge for me has been time management skills which I learned quickly was an obstacle that I had to overcome. By creating a set time each day to do work on the project, the internship became a component of my course schedule. The other major challenge for the first stage of the project was not having an established schedule for their upcoming year. This forced me to only research and brainstorm on possible ideas based on the events that I knew were coming. Now that I have the approved list I can enter into the design phase of the project.
Hunter Winters ’21
POE: Digital Public History